2007年10月21日 星期日

Homework4 Otto

Specific Purpose

1. A report to your boss, the store manager, about the outdated items in the warehouse

My purpose of writing this repost is to persuade my boss to deal with these outdated items. I will tell him the longer we take to sell the outdated inventories, the lesser the chances of selling them in the future. Because we cannot Therefore, maybe we should hold a discount sale on these goods as soon as possible.

3. A letter to a customer who hasn't made a payment for three months

My purpose of writing this letter is to urge the customer that we are going to take legal procedures if payment is not made before the deadline. However, I shall let the customer know that if there is any difficulty, we can allow a late payment.

5. A phone call to a supplier checking on an overdue parts shipment

My purpose of making this phone call is to know when my overdue shipment will arrive. I will reiterate that these goods are very important for me and any overdue could make big trouble. At the same time, I have to let the shipping company realize I am confident with its professionalism and I will really appreciate it.

Exploring the Web on Your Own

www.businesswritingtips.com

1. Explanations of "you" attitude ("you" view)

"You" attitude is not merely using the "you" pronoun, but also the authors should think empathetically in other's shoe. By using "you" view when writing, the authors just have to adopt a "you" attitude by thinking in terms of the audience's wishes, interests, hopes, and preferences; that way, their messages can be expressed to the readers and make their audience interested without being awkward or manipulative.

2. Three examples of "you" view

This website is really useful and I have learned from it. It offers almost 500 tips and even more exercises to help us how to write business articles specifically and precisely. With these tips, we may easily reduce the frequency of making mistakes. Thanks to its clear index and convenient search bar, it is easy to find some tips about "you" view topic. Some of them are:

Tip 1: Choose clear, familiar words.
Tip 44: Practice being specific and use terms your reader can picture.

Tip 45: Do not use sexist language in business writing.

Tip 46: When writing copy, always focus on the reader.

Tip 178: Except for diaries, most writing is intended for one or more readers.

Tip 221: Avoid words that put your readers on the defensive.

Tip 333: Make it easy for your email reader to respond with a "yes/no" answer.

Among these tips above, I think tip 46 and 178 show the main idea of writing: focusing on the readers; the others are ways intended for reaching the goal. When writing diaries or journals, it is not necessary to consider who my readers are, but except that, I should be reader-centered, like tip 178 teaches. What is my reader's background? Is my diction appropriate? Have I presented ideas that will serve my readers' needs as much as mine? Then, we should use clear and familiar words and practice being specific in order not to mislead my audience, which tips 1 and 44 say. Avoiding sexist language like policeman or postman to avoid offending my audience is also an important tip to reach the goal of the "you" view.

沒有留言: