2007年10月1日 星期一

49482039 Traci: Homework 1

Homework 1 49482039 陳芳瑩 Traci

5. Ethical Choices

The case of claiming the reports to be one's own represents
an ethical lapse when one chooses an alternative that is
either unethical or illegal.
Usually, I try my best to avoid such dilemma by preventing
the ethical lapse itself, that is, objecting to writing
those reports for my boss in the first place. In this case,
I would go to the CEO and explain myself so as to ensure the
messages are decoded correctly and open up a wider
communicating channel through the face-to-face experience.
An objective third party like the CEO should be able to
weigh the incident with care and giving unbiased judgments.
However, the case of my inability to reject may also put my
social competence in doubt.


Project Implicit

I took the Gay-Straight Implicit Association Test (IAT)
which often reveals the automatic preference for straight
relative to gay people. Among all the tests on weapons,
ethnic issues, religion and weight, I chose this sexual test
because I was pretty confident in and intended to support my
belief that I am not prejudiced against gay people through
the test.
The result is eye-opening. By linking word and picture
items to categories such as Gay People, Straight People,
Good and Bad, the data reflects how closely we connect
certain words to certain categories based on the speed we
categorize them. This is a brilliant design.
My data suggest a slight automatic preference for straight
people compared to gay people. I was slightly frustrated at
first. My gay friends and my interactions with them tell me
that they are just like us, which is what I have been
telling others for years. I read on as the system showed me
more information regarding the issue: despite the decrease
of negative attitudes toward certain groups have become less
socially acceptable, the negative attitudes toward gay
people have changed relatively little. I was further asked
to complete a questionnaire about whether I was happy with
the results and choose from factors I considered to have
influence my result. I chose "the image advertised via
public media."
We are unconsciously influenced by the great social context
in which we live. My data implies my context and it is very
true that there is a favor towards straight rather than gay.
Yet, as far as I am concerned, I have never agreed myself to
the public perspective. I am glad it is " slight" because
that is how little I am confined.

沒有留言: