2007年10月2日 星期二

Homework1 calvin (resend)

Homework1 calvin


1. Because of your excellent communication skills, your boss always asks you
to write his reports for him. But when the CEO compliments him on his
logical organization and clear writing style, your boss responds as if he'd
written all those reports himself. What kind of ethical choices does this
represent? What can you do in this situation? Briefly explain your solution
and your reasoning.

Claiming other's credits as your own is clearly an ethical lapse as it is
not only an outright lie, but also a theft of some sort. However, while this
sticky scenario of plagiarism infringes my rights, an outright confrontation
with my boss would put my job at risk; hence, the solution should be
meticulous enough to on the one hand, not jeopardize the job, and also on
the other, not put the rising career on hold. A mutually beneficial approach
would be an honest, amicable conversation with my boss, as it will let him
know his flaw, giving him the chance to improve and also, by doing so, makes
my unease known to the boss. A caring boss who values a sub-ordinate's
brilliance would heed his complaint. Should the complaint bring no
improvement to the situation, it can be inferred that the sub-ordinate is
not appreciated as he should be. Hence, the sub-ordinate should consider
looking for another job. After all, an uncut diamond is of little use to an
ignorant carpenter, just as an uncut diamond cannot be fashioned into a
sparkling stone in the hands of a carpenter.


2. Thoughts on Project Implicit (https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/)

A thirty-minute browse of the Project Implicit website evoked much feelings
and thoughts. The site being one devoted to helping people realize their
implicit preferences and associations to various subjects naturally directed
me to do a test or two. Hence, I did IATs (Implicit Association Test) on
sexuality, unicultural/multicultural, and India/United States. The test
results of the sexuality and unicultual/multicultural IAT annoyed me because
the results were unexpected. I had always considered myself strongly liberal
and I believe I've made people think that way too. But the result of the
IATs showed I have a moderate preference for straight people to gay, and a
moderate preference for unicultural to multicultural. The results offended
me because:
1.They are not true. (I strongly deny it)
2.They do not reflect what I really think. (I made associations using the
'general/common' mindset of the society)

At the same time, the results made me ponder and think:
1.Am I really as independent as I think I am, independent from people's
general views? (Do I tend to follow the majority?)
2.If I really am independent, why do I care so much to an extent that I do
tests with other people¡¦s mindset and not my own? (What of the minority?)
3.Do I really know myself? (Have I been suppressing my sub conscience too
strongly?)
Hence, the website proved interesting, as it opened my eyes as to the
stereotypical me and alerted me to be much more careful with my attitudes on
various issues.

沒有留言: