2007年10月2日 星期二

Homework 1 from Sandra

Homework 1 49482012 Sandra 陳亭縈
1. I have done several implicit association tests in the web site, such as Gender-Science IAT, Age IAT, Sexuality IAT, Asian IAT, and Weight IAT. I find that most of the results are correspondent with most people's preference except the result of Asian IAT. My Asian IAT shows that I slightly associate Asian American with American compared to European American with American. Actually, I think there are factors that lead to such strange result. One of them is that I am not a native speaker and not so familiar with Western culture, so I have to transmit the information I received from the test into Chinese thinking. In addition, I didn't recognize some buildings in the pictures, so I couldn't define where they are immediately. The other factor is that sometimes the pictures of Asian and European would confuse me, because the pictures weren't so vivid. Therefore, when I was answering, I would make fewer mistakes if it was the picture I knew well. As to the topic of sexuality, I am moderate automatic preference for straight people compared to gay people. Most of the participants incline to heterosexuality, and I think it accords to the rule of Nature. Most people are heterosexuality so that they can have descent. Besides, I have the same preference with most of the participants in the topic of weight and age. Most people prefer to young and thin. However, I think it is not right or wrong when a person has specific preference. Every one can have their own choice. The most important of all is that one has to respect different preference. I think it's OK that people have moderate or slight implicit preference toward different topics, but in business communication, people shouldn't show their preference too strong in case to offend others.
2. I think this situation is an ethical lapse, because it was I who wrote the report and made it clear and well-organized. If my boss claimed that he did the report himself and took it for granted, I would consider it as an act of cheating. In my opinion, it is questionable to deceive others and take advantage of other people's abilities. Therefore, I would add further information and details about the report to the CEO and colleagues. I believe everyone will realize that I actually did the report because I am familiar with the details and content in the report.

沒有留言: