2007年10月8日 星期一

Homework 2 Otto

1. Ethical Choices

Rather than leave a voice message or an e-mail, I consider that the best way to refuse her to lead the meeting is to turn down her request face to face with great courtesy. Because when refusing someone, I think it is more polite to do it to his or her face. I will make an appointment with Tanya Moore, make the atmosphere easy but formal, and let her know I have already asked another coworker, who is the most experienced to lead next week's meeting. I will express my confidence in her ability and that I know that she can do as well as the experienced one but only if she has observed and emulated from the experienced. Besides, learning how to courage reserved coworkers is also important, so there are still a lot to learn if she wants to be a successful leader. I will make her believe that I will find a proper time to let her show her talent in leading. That way, she will probably not be that sharp and turn to cheering others.

2. Telephones and Voice Mail

Hello, this is Otto. Sorry for bothering you, but I have an important thing to tell you. I was informed that you'd decided to move my office to another room. I'm convinced that what you decided has a good reason, but an important meeting is held on Monday afternoon and I have to finalize all the files and documents in my office. It is impossible to clean my office and deal with the documents at the same time. Therefore, I think postponing moving my office until the end of the meeting would be a better way to do it, not only for me, but for the whole company's benefit. Would you think about it and leave your new decision on my phone. Thank you!

3. Web Exploring

After viewing the three websites listed on page 45, symbols.com is the most interesting to me. Differed by complexity from CRInfo.com, and simplicity from businessottouch.com, symbols.com, intrigued me more than the two websites because of its detailed and integrated information. On this website, I browsed numerous symbols that I have never thought that were "real symbols" such as the dot and the straight line. It is very fun to view so many symbols whose meaning I did not know before. I typed "thunders" to search for what symbols stand for this natural phenomenon. Out of my expectation, one of the symbols for thunder looked like the character upside down. This symbol originates from the staff of Poseidon, who is the master of the seas, rivers, and earthquakes in Greek mythology. However, there is no Poseidon in Chinese Mythology. The Chinese Sea King does not rule the thunder in the sky. In this case, I know that symbols differ from cultures to cultures. Nevertheless, it seems that is not always true because the zigzag symbol of lightning is not that different from real thunder. The zigzag symbol comes into the minds of Vietnamese and Taiwanese when they talk about lightning. By browsing this website, we can get a lot of information about symbols' meanings and origins; some differ place to place, but some are universal. It is very interesting to indulge myself in it. I think this is the reason why the book, Da Vinci's Code is so popular all around the world.

沒有留言: