2007年10月7日 星期日

Homework 2 from Clair

Homework 2 49482021 Clair Lin

1. Ethical Choices

I will choose to leave her a friendly voice mail message. Though the other two options are also ways to solve this problem, leaving a voice mail message is better for me because it seems to be the compromise between sending e-mail and meeting with her. The most obvious disadvantage of sending e-mail is that the text often cannot clearly reveal our true meaning. People have different viewpoints and different ways to interpret things, so it is probably that our text may be interpreted to different tone or meaning; moreover, the distorted one is usually worse. It is dangerous that she misunderstands that our tone is blameful. The other way is to meet with her. We have known that her personality is opinionated and a little arbitrary; thus, it is possibility that it may lead to quarrel if we meet face-to-face. Furthermore, she may feel embarrassed that we point out her shortcoming to her face. In sum, telling her through voice mail can correctly reveal our true tone and save her face at the same time; therefore, I will leave a voice mail message to her.

2. Telephone and Voice Mail

Good afternoon, Mr. Green. This is Clair Lin. I've heard that you're going to move me to another office on Monday morning, but I have an important meeting in my office that afternoon; and there are still some contract details I need to finish that morning. It'd be a great help if you postpone moving my office. Please call me back for further information. My cell phone number is 0933046123. Thank you very much. Have a nice weekend.

3. http://www.businessoftouch.com/

The website I visit is The Business of Touch, which introduces the proper greeting protocol of fifteen countries including France, India, and other countries. The most interesting and the warmest feature of this website is that it offers animation to show us how the greeting must be acted. It is better than textbook or other websites which only describe the protocol; the animation is really vivid and impressive. I browsed all countries' greeting ways and found that almost every country is used to have handshake except China, India and Japan. This seems to be the different culture between Eastern and Western world, and I always think this difference is interesting. Another impressive thing is that woman has to offer hand first when shaking hands with man., such as Canada, Czech Public, Germany, New Zealand and Singapore. This surprised me a lot because I used to think that man offers hand first is gentlemanly; the custom of woman offering hand is really impressive. Eye contact is also an important point that we must pay attention to; maintaining eye contact with person is very important since this behavior shows our polite. Altogether, knowing other cultures helps us in either working or communicating, and this website is not only interesting but useful. It is worth visiting this website.

沒有留言: